Quiz for 10th Class English Literature Chapter-3 (RETURN TO AIR)

Chapter 6

RETURN TO AIR

Philippa A Pearce
Phillipa Pearce

The boy could swim well, but he had never tried duck-diving. His friend wanted him to learn it. What happened when he tried to duck-dive the first time? 
लड़का अच्छी तरह से तैर सकता था, लेकिन उसने कभी डक-डाइविंग की कोशिश नहीं की थी। उसके दोस्त चाहते थे कि वह इसे सीखें। जब उसने पहली बार डक-डाइव करने की कोशिश की तो क्या हुआ?

Fishing Pond
Fishing Pond

The ponds are very big, so that at one end people bathe and at the other end they fish. Old men with bald heads sit on folding stools and fish with rods and lines, and little kids squeeze through the railings and wade up into the water to fish with nets. But the water is much deeper at our end of the pond, and that's where we bathe. You are not allowed to bathe unless you can swim, but I've always been able to swim. They say I could swim because I am fat, and I float. Well, I don't mind. They call me Sausage.
तालाब बहुत बड़े हैं, इसलिए एक छोर पर लोग स्नान करते हैं और दूसरे छोर पर वे मछली पकड़ते हैं। गंजे सिर वाले बूढ़े लोग मुड़ने वाले स्टूल पर बैठ कर छड़ी और लाइनों के साथ मछली पकड़ते हैं, और छोटे बच्चे रेलिंग के माध्यम से निचोड़ते हैं और जाल के साथ मछली को पानी में उतारा करते हैं। लेकिन पानी हमारे तालाब के अंत में बहुत गहरा है, और यहीं हम स्नान करते हैं। जब तक आप तैर नहीं सकते, आपको स्नान करने की अनुमति नहीं है, लेकिन मैं हमेशा तैरने में सक्षम रहा हूं। वे कहते हैं कि मैं तैर सकता हूँ क्योंकि मैं मोटा हूं, और मैं तैरता हूं। खैर, मुझे कोई आपत्ति नहीं है। वे मुझे सॉसेज कहते हैं।

Duck-diving
Duck-diving

Only I don't dive - not from the diving-board. I have to take my glasses off to go into the water.
मैं केवल गोता नहीं लगाता - डाइविंग-बोर्ड से भी नहीं। मुझे पानी में जाने के लिए अपना चश्मा उतारना पड़ता है।

Ducks
Ducks

Then this summer they all wanted me to learn duck-diving. You are swimming on the surface of water and suddenly you up end yourself just like a duck and dive down deep into the water and perhaps you swim about a bit underwater, and then come up again. I know ducks can do this soon after they are born. It's different for them. 
तब इस गर्मी में वे सभी चाहते थे कि मैं डक-डाइविंग सीखूं। आप पानी की सतह पर तैर रहे हैं और अचानक आप अपने आप को एक बतख की तरह खत्म करते हैं और पानी में गहराई तक उतरते हैं और शायद आप थोड़ा पानी के नीचे तैरते हैं, और फिर ऊपर आते हैं। मुझे पता है कि बतख पैदा होने के तुरंत बाद ऐसा कर सकते हैं। यह उनके लिए अलग है।

Bricks
Bricks

So I was learning to duck-dive-to swim to the bottom of the pond and pick up a brick they'd thrown in, and bring it up again. You practise this in case you have to rescue anyone from drowning - gone down to the bottom. Of course, they are bigger and heavier than a brick. I suppose you have to work on bricks and then gradually work up to people.
इसलिए मैं तालाब के तल पर तैर कर डक-डाइव करना सीख रहा था और एक ईंट उठा कर लाना, जिसे वे फेंक देंगे, और फिर से लाना। यदि आप किसी को डूबने से बचाना चाहते हैं तो इस अभ्यास का अभ्यास करें - नीचे तल की तरफ जाना। बेशक, वे एक ईंट की तुलना में बड़े और भारी हैं। मुझे लगता है कि आपको ईंटों पर काम करना चाहिए और फिर धीरे-धीरे लोगों पर काम करना होगा।

The swimming instructor said, 'Sausage, I'm going to throw the brick.' It was a brick with a bit of old white flannel round it, to make it show up underwater – “Sausage I'm going to throw it - go after it and get it before it reaches the bottom and settles in the mud, or you'll never get it.” 
तैराकी प्रशिक्षक ने कहा, 'सॉसेज, मैं ईंट फेंकने जा रहा हूं।' यह पुरानी सफेद फलालैन के एक टुकड़े के साथ एक ईंट थी, जोकी पानी के नीचे दिखाने के लिए बनाई गई थी - "सॉसेज मैं इसे फेंकने जा रहा हूं - इसके पीछे जाओ और इसे नीचे तक पहुंचने और कीचड़ में बैठने से पहले ले आओ, वरना तुम्हें वो 'कभी नहीं मिलेगा। "

Swimmer coming out of the water
Swimmer coming out of the water

He'd made everyone come out of the water to give me a chance and they were standing and watching I had removed my glasses, so I could only see the blurred figures. I could hear them talking and laughing, but there wasn't a sound in the water except the sound made by me. And then I saw the brick go over my head and there was a splash as it went into the water I thought I can't do it – my legs won't move fast – they feel just flabby – it's different for ducks. But while I was thinking this, I'd taken a deep breath, and then my head really went down and my legs went up in the air. I could feel them there, just air around them, and then there was water around them, because I was going down into the water, after all right down into the water, straight down.... 
उसने मुझे मौका देने के लिए सभी को पानी से बाहर कर दिया और वे खड़े थे और देख रहे थे कि मैंने अपना चश्मा हटा दिया, इसलिए मैं केवल धुंधले आंकड़े देख सकता था। मैं उन्हें बात करते और हंसते हुए सुन सकता था, लेकिन मेरे द्वारा बनाई गई आवाज़ को छोड़कर पानी में कोई आवाज़ नहीं थी। और फिर मैंने ईंट को अपने सिर के ऊपर जाते देखा और जैसे ही वह पानी में गई वहाँ छपाक आवाज़ आई, मुझे लगा कि मैं इसे नहीं कर सकता - मेरे पैर तेजी से नहीं चलेंगे - वे सिर्फ भड़कते हुए महसूस करते हैं - यह बतख के लिए अलग है। लेकिन जब मैं यह सोच रहा था, मैंने एक गहरी साँस ली, और फिर मेरा सिर वास्तव में नीचे चला गया और मेरे पैर हवा में ऊपर चले गए। मैं उन्हें वहां महसूस कर सकता था, बस उनके चारों ओर हवा थी, और फिर उनके चारों ओर पानी था, क्योंकि मैं पानी में नीचे जा रहा था, पानी में सीधे नीचे जाने के बाद, सीधे नीचे ...।

Diving into the water
Diving into the water

At first my eyes were shut, I forced my eyelids up against the water to see. Because, although I can't see much without my glasses, I don't believe anyone can see much underwater.
सबसे पहले मेरी आँखें बंद थीं, मैंने अपनी पलकों को देखने के लिए पानी के खिलाफ मजबूर किया। क्योंकि, हालांकि मैं अपने चश्मे के बिना बहुत कुछ नहीं देख सकता, मुझे विश्वास नहीं है कि कोई भी बहुत पानी के नीचे देख सकता है।

Fishes moving around in water
Fishes moving around in the water

The water was like a thick green - brown lemonade, with some fish moving around. I could see some whitish glimmer that must be the flannel round the brick, it was ahead of me, fading away into the lower water, as I moved after it. Down we went, and the lemonade-look quite went away, and became just a dark blackish-brown, and I couldn't see much. The brick looked different from here, may be the flannel had come off. It had settled right into the mud. There was only one corner left sticking up. I dug into the mud with my fingers and got hold of the thing, and then I didn't think of anything except getting up again with it into the air. 
पानी एक मोटे हरे - भूरे रंग के नींबू पानी की तरह था, जिसमें कुछ मछलियाँ घूम रही थीं। मैं कुछ सफेदी से भरपूर चमक देख सकता था, जो ईंट के चारों ओर फलालैन होना चाहिए, यह मेरे आगे था, जैसे ही मैं उसके पीछे गया, वह नीचे के पानी में लुप्त होता जा रहा था। हम नीचे गए, और नींबू पानी वाला धुंधलापन काफी दूर चला गया, और कला-भूरा-भूरा हो गया, और मैं ज्यादा नहीं देख सका। ईंट यहां से अलग दिखती है, हो सकता है कि फलालैन उतर गया हो। यह कीचड़ में ही बस गया था। केवल एक कोना चिपका रह गया था। मैंने अपनी उंगलियों से कीचड़ में खोदा और चीज को पकड़ लिया, और फिर मैंने हवा में फिर से उठने के अलावा कुछ भी नहीं सोचा।

At the bottom of Pond
At the bottom of Pond

Touching the bottom like that had stirred up the mud, so I began to go up through a cloud of it. I felt I would get lost. Perhaps I had swum underwater too far – perhaps I would be drifted towards the place where people were fishing and get a fish-hook caught into the flesh of my cheek or perhaps I just wasn't going to find the top and the air again...
उस तल को छूकर जैसे कीचड़ उछाला था, इसलिए मैं उसके बादल जैसा होकर ऊपर जाने लगा। मुझे लगा कि मैं खो जाऊंगा। शायद मैं बहुत दूर तक पानी के भीतर बह गया था - शायद मैं उस जगह की ओर खिसक गया जहां लोग मछली पकड़ रहे थे और मेरे गाल के मांस में मछली का कांटा फसा हुआ था या शायद मैं फिर से शीर्ष और हवा को खोजने नहीं जा रहा था। ..

colour of water
Thoughts and colour of water

I was quite afraid, although I was going up quite quickly, and the water was already changing from brown-black to green brown and then to bright lemonade; I could also see the sun shining through the water, I was getting near the surface. I was moving too slowly; I knew I would never reach the air again in time
मैं काफी डर गया था, हालांकि मैं काफी जल्दी ऊपर जा रहा था, और पानी पहले से ही भूरे-काले से हरा भूरा और फिर उज्ज्वल नींबू पानी में बदल रहा था; मैं पानी से चमकता सूरज भी देख सकता था, मैं सतह के पास पहुँच रहा था। मैं बहुत धीरे-धीरे आगे बढ़ रहा था; मुझे पता था कि मैं समय पर फिर से हवा तक नहीं पहुंच पाऊंगा

Never the air again....
दोबारा हवा तक भी नहीं...।


Coming out from water
Coming out from water

Then suddenly I was at the surface - I'd exploded back from the water into the air. For a while I couldn't think of anything; and I couldn't do anything except let out the old breath I'd been holding and take a couple of fresh, quick ones, and hold the brick.
तब अचानक मैं सतह पर था - मैंने पानी से हवा में वापस विस्फोट कर दिया। कुछ समय के लिए मैं कुछ भी नहीं सोच सकता था; और मैं कुछ कर भी नहीं सकता था सिवाय पुरानी सांस को छोड़ कर, जो मैंने पकड़ रखी थी और एक-दो ताज़े, जल्दी वाले, और ईंट को पकड़ हुए।

Pond Water
Pond Water

Pond water was trickling down inside my nose and into my mouth, which I hate, but there was air all around and above for me to breathe and to live. I might live to be hundred now, and keep a sweet-shop of my own and walk on the Moon and breed mastiffs, and rescue someone from drowning and be awarded a medal for it and be interviewed on TV. 
तालाब का पानी मेरी नाक के अंदर और मेरे मुंह में घुस रहा था, जिससे मुझे नफरत थी, लेकिन सांस लेने और रहने के लिए मेरे ऊपर चारों तरफ हवा थी। मैं अब सौ साल का हो सकता हूं, और अपनी खुद की एक मिठाई की दुकान रख सकता हूं और चंद्रमा पर चल सकता हूं और मास्टिफ को नस्ल कर सकता हूं, और किसी को डूबने से बचा सकता हूं और इसके लिए पदक से सम्मानित किया जा सकता है और टीवी पर साक्षात्कार किया जा सकता है।

Shouting People
Shouting People

And then I noticed they were shouting from the bank. They were cheering and shouting, “Sausage, Sausage!" The instructor was saying with his hands round his mouth, 'What on earth have you got there, Sausage?' 
और फिर मैंने देखा कि वे किनारे से चिल्ला रहे थे। वे चिल्ला रहे थे और चिल्ला रहे थे, "सॉसेज, सॉसेज!" प्रशिक्षक अपने हाथों से अपने मुंह को गोल करते हुए कह रहा था, 'पृथ्वी पर तुम्हें क्या मिला है, सॉसेज?'

So then I realised I had come almost at the other end of the pond.
तब मुझे एहसास हुआ कि मैं लगभग तालाब के दूसरे छोर पर आ गया हूं।

Going at another end
Going at another end

I turned round and swam to the bank. They gave me my glasses to see what I had brought up from the bottom. Because it wasn't a brick; same size but a tin - an old tin - box with no paint left on it and all brown-black slime from the bottom of the pond. It was as heavy as brick, because it was full of mud - nothing but mud. It must have been there for years.
मैं पीछे मुड़ा और किनारे तक तैर कर गया। उन्होंने मुझे अपना चश्मा दिया, यह देखने के लिए कि मैं नीचे से क्या लाया हूँ। क्योंकि वह ईंट नहीं थी; उसी आकार का, एक टिन - एक पुराना टिन - बॉक्स, जिस पर कोई पेंट नहीं बचा था और तालाब के नीचे से सभी भूरे-काले कीचड़। यह ईंट की तरह भारी था, क्योंकि यह कीचड़ से भरा था - कीचड़ के अलावा कुछ नहीं। यह सालों से वहीं पड़ा होगा।

Tin-box
Tin-box

I've cleaned the tin up and kept on the mantelpiece at home with my coin-collection in it. I had to duck-dive later for another brick, and I got it all right, without being frightened at all. I shall keep the tin as long as I live, and I might live to be hundred. 
मैंने टिन को साफ किया और घर पर मंटेलपीस में रखा है, जिसमें मेरा सिक्का-संग्रह है। मुझे बाद में एक और ईंट के लिए गोता लगाना पड़ा, और मुझे यह सब ठीक लगा, बिना किसी डर के। जब तक मैं जीवित रहूंगा, तब तक मैं टिन रखूंगा और मै सौ साल तक जीवित रह सकता हूं।

एक टिप्पणी भेजें

और नया पुराने